Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Books I've been reading...for class

I haven't had a ton of time to read anything other than class related things but that's okay because I happen to be enjoying many of the books I've read.  Throughout high school I tended to dislike books read during class.  Many times I would skim entire books.  In college I've been trying to make a conscious effort to enjoy more of the books for class.  It's true they are often different from what I read for fun but there dis always time to gain information from what I'm reading.  Plus, knowing the reading helps you get so much more out of classes.

So here are a few of the books I've been reading for class that I've actually enjoyed this semester.

The Evolution of Desire by David M. Buss

Goodreads | Amazon
I'm reading this book for my biology seminar.  If you ignore the raunchy cover and get to the actual science within the book is pretty interesting.  If you are at all interested in evolution and human sexuality, this book would be a good place to start.  Buss gives a good overview of how and why human sexual preferences evolved while keeping the material easy to understand for those who have not studied science.

The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevky

Goodreads | Amazon
If you are looking for something a little creepy for around Holloween I would recommend reading The Double.  I would describe this as a twisted dark comedy with a sarcastic narrator and strange smiles.  The plot follows the life of Mr. Golyadkin, an awkward and slightly off person.  Things get more creepy when he finds his exact double has taken over his life and the reader is constantly questioning whether Golyadkin's troubles are real or all in his mind. 

 In fact if you are also looking for a psychological thriller for this season the movie adaptation looks great as well.  



Paradise Park by Allegra Goodman

Goodreads | Amazon

To be fair I have not finished Paradise Park but I can say that this book is already a great read.  It's a good story about growing up and following the path you want rather than what other's want you to do.  This is for a Religion class so she does find God and tries different paths to spirituality.  I will probably review this book once it is finished.  

I know reading for class is not always fun but you can definitely give them a chance.  They might become some of your favorites. What are some of your favorites you've read for a class?  

ox Caitlin 

No comments:

Post a Comment