Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Getting organized



On top of the goals I posted here the other day I also want to get organized.  My mom and my sister are such neat freaks. I swear, together their motto should be, everything has it's place and if it doesn't you should throw it out because it doesn't belong.  I've always thought being organized could lead to a less stressful life.  Here I want to highlight a few things I'm doing to make my life more organized.

A Planner


I know this pretty basic but buying a planner is something I've neglected to do for a while now. This has lead me to double book myself in the past and forget appointments and assignments. It's important to realize that you cannot hold all of live's important details in your mind at once.

Right now planners are all over the place because of the new year and you can get them pretty cheap. I purchased a super small one from Walmart a few weeks ago. I find that writing things down by hand helps me remember better but if you like having reminders pop up on your devices those work well, too. One must have for me is enough room to fit everything into the notepad.  I can't just use those whole calendar ones I need more room on each day.

Organize my wires

My cords and wires are always getting tangled and I think it has been driving my mom pretty crazy because this year I found these Quirky bandits bungee cords in my stocking. All I can say is they are the best. They come in a bunch of sizes and can be used as carabiners, key rings, and just about anything else you can imagine.  Right now I'm using them to hold together unruly wires. I don't know about you, but I always have tangled wires but with these helpful little clips everything stays together.  I also think they would be great for traveling.



Getting rid of unused items

This year is going to be the year that I get rid of everything I don't want anymore. First I will clear out  of my college town for the final time.  I can give you some good advise if you are in college or are moving back home from college and you want to organize your closet.  Don't unpack anything until you have cleared out your closet.  Chances are you brought only the things you wear to school so now is the chance to go through everything you left at home.  Do you really need that dress from your sophomore year in high school?  How about those skinny jeans that are just a little too skinny now? Keep only the things you're sure you will wear.  Then unpack everything from school into your clean closet.

This summer I will also be taking on the daunting task of deciding what I do and do not want from my childhood bedroom.  To tell you the truth, I am a little scared of doing this.  Not only will it take a long time to empty that room of 18 years worth of stuff but it will also symbolize my move toward adulthood and the real world.  I know it's going to be difficult to relinquish some of my childhood memories.

I'd love to hear about your experience organizing your life. Do you have any organizational hacks?  Also what was it like cleaning out your childhood bedroom?

oxo Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment