Wednesday, January 14, 2015

New Years Goals



Up until this year I've never made serious New Year resolutions.  Like so many other people, my fleeting ideas about how I'd like to change myself in the new year have come and gone in under 12 hours.  If everything goes as planned this year, which it probably won't let's face it, this year will be a big change. No matter what though I will begin to slip slowly toward adulthood and I want to make it as wonderful as I can.

This year, rather than making resolutions I have been inspired by Ellie and Jared to make goals this year. (Side note if you like watching families Ellie, Jared, and the adorable baby are awesome!) In their video they discussed how goals should be fun, smart, measurable, and attainable.  Now I think goals are better than resolutions because they are more flexible so you don't have the tendency to break them as easily.

So here are some of my goals for 2015! I hope I am able to accomplish all of them at least in part.

1. Build a working cookbook.

Since the summer I have been having a lot of fun in the kitchen and I want to continue to build my skills.  I also want to build up a bunch of go to recipes when I've feeling uninspired or tired in the kitchen.  Also I've learned that cooking is a great skill for the future.  Home cooked meals are usually healthier and easier on your wallet!

I kind of started this last year but I really want to write these down so I can just grab the ingredients and go. At some point I'd also love to take photos of the different dishes so I can flip through and see what I want.  After all, the eyes are the window to the stomach.

2. Be more active

After I returned from being abroad a year ago I went to the gym with my mom three days a week.  While there I saw my body tone up and become stronger.  I miss my toned muscles and the way the gym made me feel.  This year I'm going to try to be more active.  I want to set a precedent for the rest of my life. I don't have any particular weight goals.  I really don't need to lose weight but I would like to get to the gym two days a week.

3. Advocate for myself

I think the number one thing I want to start doing is having a voice. I've noticed over the past few years that I tend to go with the flow even if I feel I could be doing something better.  For example, I don't always find better alternatives and I don't ask for more than what is given to me.  But life isn't handed to you.  You have to go out and find opportunities and work for them.  If you don't they will never come.  This year I hope to ask more questions, get more of what I want, and become more outspoken.  Of course I don't want to be pushy.  I just want to be a girl who knows what she wants.

4. Enjoy my last semester of college

I think this goes without saying but I seriously want to enjoy my final semester at college. I want to do things that I haven't done before because I put it off.  I want to do more service for the community.  I also want to enjoy spending time with my friends.  In a few short months we will all be headed in different directions and who knows when we will see each other again.

So those are my goals for this year.  I hope to keep reminding myself of them and continue to work towards them.  The reason to set goals is to better yourself and your life.  I'm a firm believer of habits and if you set the precedent of making the keeping up with goals you will do so for the rest of your life.

What are some of your goals for this year? They don't have to be huge or life changing and they don't have to just mean saying you'll go to the gym every day of the week. Even if you don't set goals I hope 2015 is your happiest year yet!

xox Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment