Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Reading Roulette

In a bit of a response to my post yesterday, maybe my first step outside my comfort zone would be to read a book that I would never just pick up.  I've been wanting to increase the number of genres I read from this year simply because I think I've gotten into a reading slump.  I feel as though I walk into a bookstore (or virtual bookstore like Amazon) and always pick up the same books with similar characters and similar characters.  When I came across this Buzzfeed post I went flipping through the books like crazy. (It gets a little addicting so be careful).  Most of the time I find you get recommendations from Goodreads based on what you have read before.  This is different because it is "Books you should read in your 20s" and has nothing to do with what you may like or dislike. 



Goodreads | Amazon
The first was Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sadaris.  Here is the Goodreads summary. 

David Sedaris' move to Paris from New York inspired these hilarious pieces, including the title essay, about his attempts to learn French from a sadistic teacher who declares that every day spent with you is like having a caesarean section. His family is another inspiration. You Can't Kill the Rooster is a portrait of his brother, who talks incessant hip-hop slang to his bewildered father. And no one hones a finer fury in response to such modern annoyances as restaurant meals presented in ludicrous towers of food and cashiers with six-inch fingernails.

I have heard of this book before but I've never read it.  It's definitely out of my comfort zone simply because I rarely read outside of YA genres and most of those books are Sci-fi or fantasy.  I think I might try to pick it up.  Reading new books is a great way to increase your depth of knowledge and understand different ways of life.  It's kind of like meeting a new person for the first time and having a suddenly personal but enlightening conversation about life. (But of course there is the pleasure of doing all this in your warm bed without any social constructs). 


I encourage you to take a look at this Buzzfeed post.  If anything it is just fun to flip through the books and see what pops up.  Also if there are any books that really were out of your comfort zone I would love to hear what they are?  It's always great to find new reading material. 

ox Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment